Virtual Thesis Boot Camp
Are you struggling to get going with your academic writing? Or have you hit a block? If so, this two-day online writing retreat, for current FHSS PGRS only, can help you get back on track and make significant progress with your article or thesis. You get the time and structure to focus.
With guidance from an experienced facilitator, you'll set realistic goals and achieve them in a supportive virtual environment. The programme includes warm-up exercises, group discussion, and 1-2-1 coaching. And you'll receive instruction in advance on how best to prepare for the session.
By the end of the weekend, you'll have:
- a better understanding of your writing process and habits
- strategies for improving your focus
- techniques for planning and measuring progress
- (hopefully) a big chunk of writing!
Thesis Boot Camp is all about writing productivity. You won’t receive any instruction on your methodology, literature review, or thesis structure. It’s aimed at mid-late-stage PhD students who have already started writing and need to accelerate.
Please note, this is an online writing retreat and is hosted on Zoom. You’ll receive full joining instructions two days before the weekend. Participants will need the following:
- Computer, laptop, or smartphone with a stable internet connection
- Sound (and headphones, if you're in shared space)
- Microphone (if you'd like an optional 1-2-1 or to participate in the group discussions)
How it Works
The event comprises:
- An online course on how to plan a piece of writing, prepare your materials, and boost your productivity (you'll receive this in advance)
- Live webinars at the beginning and end of each writing session
- An optional 1-2-1 coaching session with the facilitator
The Schedule for both days
10.00 – WEBINAR: Welcome, warm-up exercises & strategies for making the most of the day
10.30 – Writing & 1-2-1s
12.45 – WEBINAR: Group session
13.00 – Lunch break
14.00 – WEBINAR: Group session
14.15 – Writing & 1-2-1s
16.30 – WEBINAR: Group session
16.45 – WEBINAR: Final thoughts; Q&A
17.00 – Finish
Between the webinars, you manage your own schedule and take breaks as needed.
About the Facilitator
The event is facilitated by Dr Catherine Pope, an experienced coach and workshop facilitator. Catherine has worked with more than 4,000 researchers across 12 universities and recently published a book on How to Finish Your PhD. You can find out more at www.phdprogress.com.
Please note that in advance of the workshop you will need to access the Preparatory Course, further details will be available once you have completed registration.
Please also note that by signing up to this event, you agree that your email address may be passed to Catherine Pope Ltd. for the purposes of sharing the online links to the event.