Student in her room in a hall of residence

Self-isolation Support for Students

What to do if you need to self-isolate

You may need to self-isolate during your time at University, meaning you must stay at home and away from others because you may be infectious..

If you have to self isolate you must tell the University by informing:

  1. your MyPort Hub
  2. personal tutor
  3. and the University's central COVID team using this student form 

How to self-isolate

Government guidance says you should self-isolate in one place for the full period, where you can have food and other necessities delivered, and should stay away from others.

You cannot go out to work or school or visit public areas. You should not go shopping. If you require help buying groceries, other shopping or picking up medication, you should ask friends or relatives or order a delivery.

In England, you must only exercise within your home or garden. You cannot leave your home to walk your dog. You will need to ask friends or relatives to help you with this.

There are more details in the government guidance.

Do you need to self-isolate?

The Government has set out the rules on self-isolation. You should self-isolate straight away if you've tested positive for COVID-19 – this means you have the virus.

You should also self-isolate straight away and get a PCR test (a test that is sent to the lab) via GOV.UK as soon as possible if you have any of these 3 symptoms of COVID-19, even if they are mild:

  • a high temperature
  • a new, continuous cough
  • a loss or change to your sense of smell or taste
If you've come into contact with or live with someone who has tested positive, you may also have to self-isolate, depending on your vaccination status or age - read more about the rules on the NHS website

Arriving in the UK

Before travelling to the UK please read the Government's guidelines on what you must do on arrival, including quarantining and testing.

Help with self isolation

Wellbeing support

Self-isolating can feel tough at times, but our Student Wellbeing Service can help. You can access resources like:

  • A free, anonymous chat service via the WhatsUp app, to talk to professional wellbeing staff
  • Free 20 minute advice sessions with wellbeing advisers. They are bookable on the day, on a first-come-first-served basis, and usually take place by phone.
  • If you're self-isolating you may also receive a wellbeing check-in call from one of our volunteer team of staff, who will offer to stay in touch with you.

Student Space from the mental health charity Student Minds, aims to help you find the support you need during coronavirus, including resources on wellbeing, and access to one-to-one support from trained volunteers.

Food parcels

If you have to self isolate, we can provide you with free food parcels to help you during that time. We can arrange for these food parcels to be delivered to halls of residence and private sector accommodation. Students living in University catered accommodation - Rees Hall and Burrell House - can have three hot meals a day delivered to them.

If you need a food parcel, email ResLife on or contact the security lodge 24/7 on 023 9284 3418 with your details including the reason you're self isolating.

Ordering in food

To make sure you have enough food and supplies during your 10 day quarantine, you can order online from supermarkets who'll deliver to you door. All you need is a valid credit or debit card, and you may have to meet a minimum order value to qualify for delivery.

For students living in University halls of residence, The Student Housing Company and Unite Students halls and prefer to do their own online shopping, the University or other provider will assist with getting the food deliveries to self-isolating flats.

Financial help

If you're facing financial difficulties because of Covid, you may be eligible for a grant from the University Support Fund.

Help with laundry

If you're self-isolating in halls of residence, for safety reasons you shouldn't use communal lau ndry facilities. The University will provide clean bedding to students living in University, The Student Housing Company and Unite Students halls of residence for the 10 day isolation period. To request laundry support, call your hall reception for details.

This site uses cookies. Click here to view our cookie policy message.

Accept and close