Student in her room in a hall of residence

Self-isolation Support for Students

What to do if you need to self-isolate

You may need to self-isolate during your time at University, meaning you must stay at home and away from others because you may be infectious..

If you have to self isolate you must tell the University by informing:

  1. your MyPort Hub
  2. personal tutor
  3. and the University's central COVID team using this student form 

How to self-isolate

Government guidance says you should self-isolate in one place for the full period, where you can have food and other necessities delivered, and should stay away from others unless you travelled to the UK with them. You must self-isolate at the address you provided on the public health passenger locator form.

You cannot go out to work or school or visit public areas. You should not go shopping. If you require help buying groceries, other shopping or picking up medication, you should ask friends or relatives or order a delivery.

In England, you must only exercise within your home or garden. You cannot leave your home to walk your dog. You will need to ask friends or relatives to help you with this.

There are more details in the government guidance including exceptional circumstances when you're allowed to leave your accommodation.

Do you need to self-isolate?

If you have coronavirus symptoms or have been contacted through NHS Test and Trace

If you're experiencing coronavirus symptoms, or have been contacted by the NHS Test and Trace system because you've come into contact with someone who has coronavirus, you must immediately self-isolate. Read the Government's guidelines on self-isolating with coronavirus symptoms.

You must also book yourself in for a test through the Government's national booking portal

Arriving in the UK

Before travelling to the UK please read the Government's guidelines on what you must do on arrival, including quarantining and testing.

Help with self isolation

Wellbeing support

Self-isolating can feel tough at times, but our Student Wellbeing Service can help. You can access resources like:

  • A free, anonymous chat service via the WhatsUp app, to talk to professional wellbeing staff
  • Free 20 minute advice sessions with wellbeing advisers. They are bookable on the day, on a first-come-first-served basis, and usually take place by phone.
  • If you're self-isolating you may also receive a wellbeing check-in call from one of our volunteer team of staff, who will offer to stay in touch with you.

Student Space from the mental health charity Student Minds, aims to help you find the support you need during coronavirus, including resources on wellbeing, and access to one-to-one support from trained volunteers.

Food parcels

If you have to self isolate, we can provide you with free food parcels for the 10 day period. Each food parcel will last for up to 5 days. The University will arrange for these food parcels to be delivered to halls of residence and private sector accommodation. The University will deliver three hot meals a day to students living in catered accommodation, Rees Hall and Burrell House.

If you need a food parcel, email ResLife on or contact the security lodge 24/7 on 023 9284 3418 with your details including the reason you're self isolating.

Ordering in food

To make sure you have enough food and supplies during your 10 day quarantine, you can order online from supermarkets who'll deliver to you door. All you need is a valid credit or debit card, and you may have to meet a minimum order value to qualify for delivery.

For students living in University halls of residence, The Student Housing Company and Unite Students halls and prefer to do their own online shopping, the University or other provider will assist with getting the food deliveries to self-isolating flats.

Financial help

If you're facing financial difficulties because of Covid, you may be eligible for a grant from the University Support Fund.

Laundry service

If you're self-isolating in halls of residence, for safety reasons you shouldn't use communal laundry facilities.  The University will provide clean bedding to students living in University, The Student Housing Company and Unite Students halls of residence for the 10 day isolation period.

If you have to self-isolate for a further consecutive 10 day isolation period, the University will provide a weekly laundry service at the standard self-service rate.  

To request laundry support, contact your hall reception for details.

Cleaning products

If during your self-isolation you need cleaning products to ensure your accommodation remains a hygienic place to live, we can supply you a package including virucidal spray and cloths.  

Laptop loan

If you don't have access to a laptop for your online learning during your self-isolation, you can borrow one through our laptop loan scheme

Other questions

If you have any questions or queries contact for further advice.

This site uses cookies. Click here to view our cookie policy message.

Accept and close