Finding a Graduate Job
Discover services for finding graduate schemes and jobs
There are many ways to find a graduate scheme or job, including through our Graduate Recruitment Consultancy, MyCareer jobs board and online graduate jobs boards.
When you're applying for a graduate role, you must tailor your CV and application for each job. Make sure you have the relevant skills required for the job and that your skills are clearly advertised in your application. Employers will expect to see competencies, but will also be looking for relevant knowledge and experience.
For more information, see our full guide to CVs and applications.
Services for finding graduate schemes and jobs
Graduate recruitment consultancy
Our in-house agency is exclusively for University of Portsmouth students and graduates. Our specialist staff work with you and individual schools and departments across the University of Portsmouth to find the right career path for you. If you're in your final year of studies or a graduate looking for a job in the South East, sign up to the Graduate Recruitment Consultancy.
MyCareer jobs board
Employers post graduate opportunities across different sectors and locations, including Portsmouth, the UK and globally on our jobs board, MyCareer. Go to your 'My Profile' section to update your email alerts and settings for the type of jobs you are looking for.
At the Careers and Employability Service we organise various events from intimate meetups with employers to large events with hundreds of employers and experts on hand to advise you.
Drop in or book an appointment for initial careers advice on finding a graduate job. You'll get advice on how to plan your job search, discover transferable skills from your course and research your chosen sector.
If you're not sure about your career plan, starting your application or just looking for useful tips or interview advice, explore our career advice resources. Our guides can help you write your CV, send in applications, attend assessment centres and be confident in your interviews.
Our career guides give you an introduction to job sectors and some of the roles available in them. They also give advice on the best places to look for vacancies.
Graduate job sites
The following sites advertise graduate opportunities:
- Graduate Prospects – the latest graduate job opportunities and employer profiles
- Targetjobs – graduate jobs, schemes and employers across more than 30 sectors.
- Top 100 Graduate Employers – annual ranking of graduate employers (a limited supply of the books are available to pick up from the Careers and Employability Service)
- Milkround – forums, events, employers, news and advice, graduate jobs and internships
- Glassdoor – an inside look at jobs and companies, salary details, company reviews, and interview questions all posted anonymously by employees and job seekers
Finding your own graduate job
A large number of jobs are never advertised so use your initiative to find opportunities that aren't widely advertised.
Start by using any relevant contacts you may have. Then research companies and organisations in the sector or location that interests you. Use online business directories such as Yell to identify target organisations.
Other graduate opportunities
- Bright Network Internships - offer a range of Internship Experience UK events that are also available to recent graduates. These provide an opportunity to increase your skills and experience whilst carrying out your graduate job search.
- Bright Network Academy - also offers a free e--learning platform for graduates, with core courses designed to help you develop your knowledge and understanding of a range of different skills, sectors and companies.
- Generation UK - provides support to those currently seeking work by offering a range of work/training programmes around the UK.
- LinkedIn - offers the opportunity to search, not only for graduate jobs, but also for short-term graduate internship opportunities.
- Milkround - advertises a range of graduate internship opportunities across a range of sectors.
- TARGETjobs - offers some helpful information around securing a range of experience whilst your main graduate job search is ongoing.
Get more guidance on your graduate job search
Get more guidance on your graduate job search
Our Graduate Recruitment Consultancy
Find out about our on-campus graduate recruitment service run exclusively for those of you entering your final year of study and graduates of the University.
Finding and applying for graduate jobs
Discover the different ways to find graduate jobs and what you should know about applying for them.
Final year? Think career
We can offer you personalised support at whatever stage you have reached in your career planning.