Career mentoring programme
The Career Mentoring Programme that was due to run in May 2020 has been paused due to Covid 19. We plan to relaunch in the new Academic Year and the programme will open for applications in September 2021. This page will be updated when we have confirmed dates.
The Careers and Employability Service Career Mentoring Programme is for first year undergraduate students, from any degree discipline, who are in receipt of a bursary.
When you join our mentoring programme, you'll be matched with an experienced professional. To build your confidence and prepare you for your future career, your mentor will help you:
- increase your knowledge of a career sector
- expand your understanding of recruitment processes
- focus your development of key graduate skills and competencies
Our volunteer mentors come from various professions and sectors. Once you're matched with a mentor, they're dedicated to supporting you for the duration of the programme.
Your mentor will share their own experiences with you and work with you to explore your potential career ideas. Your mentor will support you in developing these ideas.
As part of the mentoring programme, you may have the opportunity to visit your mentor's workplace, providing it is Covid safe, to get first-hand insight into the professional working environment.
Why take part?
The Career Mentoring Programme offers you many employability benefits. It's designed to help you:
- Create your career plans
- Get an 'insider's guide' to job hunting and the application process
- Develop professional networks and contacts
- Expand skills, knowledge and confidence with the job search process
- Increase your ability to compete for placement and internship opportunities
When you join the Career Mentoring programme, you'll be required to:
- Attend the Welcome to Mentoring event
- Commit to 1 hour of contact time with your mentor each month once the programme starts
- Meet with your mentor prior to the summer break and then arrange at least 2 more meetings - ideally face to face if possible
- Join in on remote mentoring sessions (via email, telephone or video chat) over the summer
- Attend a Mentoring Achievement Ceremony in early December
Who can apply?
This programme will be open to first-year undergraduate students, from any degree discipline, who are in receipt of a bursary.
These pages will be updated nearer the time and the programme will be launched in September 2021. If you would like to receive further details when we open for applications please complete the Register Your Interest form
Please note, we'll try our very best to match you with a suitable mentor. However, completion of the application form does not mean your automatic participation in the programme.
If you have any questions about the Career Mentoring Programme, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.