Career mentoring programme
The Careers and Employability Service have launched a new Career Mentoring Programme for first year undergraduate students, from any degree discipline, who are in receipt of a bursary.
When you join our mentoring programmes, you'll be matched with an experienced professional. To build your confidence and prepare you for your future career, your mentor will help you:
- increase your knowledge of a career sector
- expand your understanding of recruitment processes
- focus your development of key graduate skills and competencies
Open for applications until Sunday 8 March, the Career Mentoring Programme commences in May 2020 and will run until the end of November 2020.
Our volunteer mentors come from various professions and sectors. Once you're matched with a mentor, they're dedicated to supporting you for the duration of the programme.
Your mentor will share their own experiences with you and work with you to explore your potential career ideas. Your mentor will support you in developing these ideas.
As part of the mentoring programme you'll have the opportunity to visit your mentor's workplace and get first-hand insight into the professional working environment.
Why take part?
The Career Mentoring Programme offers you many employability benefits. It's designed to help you:
- Create your career plans
- Get an 'insider's guide' to job hunting and the application process
- Develop professional networks and contacts
- Expand skills, knowledge and confidence with the job search process
- Increase your ability to compete for placement and internship opportunities
When you join the Career Mentoring programme, you'll be required to:
- Attend the Welcome to Mentoring event – your place at the 2-hour event will be allocated on either the 29 April or 6 May
- Commit to 1 hour of contact time with your mentor each month once the programme starts
- Meet with your mentor prior to the summer break and then arrange at least 2 more face to face meetings
- Join in on remote mentoring sessions (via email, telephone or video chat) over the summer
- Attend a Mentoring Achievement Ceremony in early December
Please note, we'll try our very best to match you with a suitable mentor. However, completion of the application form does not mean your automatic participation in the programme.
If you have any questions about the Career Mentoring Programnme, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.